Enrolling at the University of the Arts
New students are admitted to the University of the Arts in the winter semester of each year. This rule applies to both the Faculty of Music and the Faculty of Art & Design. All applicants for admission to the University of the Arts Bremen are required to undergo an entrance examination.
Applications for enrolment in study programmes at the University of the Arts are processed online through our dedicated interactive platform ARTIST.
Applicants MUST have a valid email address that can be used throughout the entire application process. You will also need to set up a personal, password-protected account for the ARTIST platform – just visit https://artist.hfk-bremen.de to set up your account.
Throughout the application process the University of the Arts will keep you up to date on important deadlines, milestones, procedures, and tasks through the ARTIST platform, ensuring that you have the information you need, when you need it.
Important information about the application process
- Admission criteria: applicants must have attained either a Higher Education Entrance Qualification (Abitur) or an Advanced Technical Certificate (Fachhochschulreife); or be able to confirm that they have passed an entrance examination for candidates without a certificate of eligibility (Nichtabiturientenprüfung / Kollegprüfung); or hold an equivalent entrance qualification gained in Germany or abroad that is recognised by the University of the Arts.
- Exceptions to this rule, i.e. for persons without a Higher Education Entrance Examination or a similar qualification, may be made for applicants who display outstanding artistic ability in their entrance examination. While it is possible to study at the University of the Arts without a Higher Education Entrance Certificate – prospective candidates will need to deliver work of an exceptionally high standard in their entrance examination..
- The equivalence of qualifications gained outside of the Federal Republic of Germany may be evaluated in the course of the application process. Applications for evaluation should be accompanied by the original documents and a certified German translation.
- With their induction (Immatrikulation) to the University, students become members (Mitglieder) of the University of the Arts.
- Following the completion of their first semester of studies, students may apply to take a sabbatical break from their studies of up to two semesters in duration.
The examination procedures and admission requirements vary between the individual Faculties and programmes. Detailed information on current admission practices is available from our online platform ARTIST https://artist.hfk-bremen.de
- Advanced students from other universities may apply to transfer to the University of the Arts for the summer or winter semester.
Important information for foreign applicants
- Foreign applicants are required to provide documentation showing that they have a good working knowledge of the German language (both in writing and speech). Foreign applicants wishing to sit an entrance examination should attain at least Level A 2 proficiency. This is equivalent to approximately 170-200 lesson hours. A self-evaluation test is available on the homepage of the Goethe-Institut in Bremen www.goethe.de/bremen. The Goethe-Institut, the Foreign Languages Department (FZHB) at the University of Bremen www.fremdsprachenzentrum-bremen.de and Volkshochschule Bremen www.vhs-bremen.de all offer intensive German courses suitable for prospective applicants.
- Successful candidates will be required to provide proof of a high level of proficiency prior to enrolment. Candidates wishing to enrol in the Performance programmes (Faculty of Music) and for programs of study Fine Arts and Integrated Design Master (Faculty of Art and Design) must attain the “Goethe-Zertifikat B1” qualification. Candidates wishing to enrol in all other programmes at the University of the Arts must attain the TestDaF 3 certificate (http://www.testdaf.de). The respective documents (certificates) must be presented to the University upon enrolment at the very latest.
- Applicants wishing to enrol in the Fine Arts programme may apply for a temporary exemption from this requirement for a period of no more than two semesters.
- Foreign applicants must hold a residence permit authorizing them to study in the Federal Republic of Germany in order to enrol at the University of the Arts. For further information, please see: www.bsu.uni-bremen.de/auslaenderamt.html