Application Fine Arts
FURTHER INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
TO THE FINE ARTS PROGRAMME
Submitting an application
Applications for our Fine Arts programme are processed through a dedicated online service operated by the University of the Arts. Candidates are kindly requested to submit their application through our online portal ARTIST.
An application for admission to the entrance examination for this programme of studies must be submitted via ARTIST by 2018-04-30. On receiving your application, the University of the Arts will send you an email containing details on other important deadlines and dates in the application process.
The centrepiece of your application is your “Portfolio” – a collection of approximately 20 artistic works. Your portfolio should offer examiners an insight into your methods and approach to art-making. The following forms of work may be included: drawing, painting, sculpture, object art, photography, media and conceptual art. The selected works should also reflect the focus of your prospective field of study. In addition to the portfolio, your application should also include the following:
- a list of submitted works
- a written declaration of authorship certifying that the works submitted in your portfolio were completed without external assistance.
- a personal résumé (bullet-point format)
- please write your name and application number on the reverse of each work included in your portfolio and ensure that the study programme is clearly identified on the packaging
Your portfolio will be assessed and successful candidates will be invited to participate in an entrance examination.
The entrance examination
The actual entrance examination for our Fine Arts programme is staged at the University of the Arts over three days. On the first day candidates will be asked to complete a number of artistic exercises. Candidates are welcome to utilize their own materials and tools for these exercises. Candidates will then be interviewed by the examination commission on one of the other two days. Alongside the portfolios and examination pieces, this interview provides the commission with further insight into the candidate’s thinking and approach to art.
Applying for a placement
Successful candidates will receive an email from the University of the Arts confirming that they have passed the entrance examination. After receiving this confirmation email. Candidates that receive a letter of rejection will be placed on a reserve list and may be offered a placement in the event that a successful candidate does not take up their placement. We promise that all available placements will be filled.
Important dates for applicants to the University of the Arts
- Application for admission to the entrance examination: 2018-04-30
- Submission of portfolios: 2018-05-02 and 2018-05-03
- Portfolio appraisals: 2018-05-07 and 2018-05-08
- Results of portfolio appraisals: from 2018-05-14
- Collection date for submitted works: 2018-05-22
- Entrance examinations:2018-06-04 through 2018-06-06
- Announcement of the entrance examination results: from 2018-06-13
- Collection date for submitted works: 2018-06-22
- Collection date for submitted works (extra date): 2018-07-05
- Collection date for submitted works (extra date): 2018-07-19
- Allocation of placements: before the end of July 2018
- Commencement of the winter semester lecture period: 2018-10-08
Information for foreign applicants
Please Note, the proof of German language skills as obligatory pre-requisite for enrolment. Foreign
applicants for a course of study at the University of the Arts must prove that they have good knowledge of the German language in oral and written communication.