Application Faculty of Music
FURTHER INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
TO THE FACULTY OF MUSIC
The Faculty of Music at University of the Arts Bremen is a truly unique learning environment with a warm and welcoming atmosphere combined with the cosmopolitan outlook of a Hanseatic city. Frequent cross-campus projects and lectures staged in cooperation with the Faculty of Arts & Design provide regular opportunities for students to engage in interdisciplinary work alongside students from other programmes. Our programmes are bolstered by strong cooperative ties with international partner universities and institutions in Bremen, including the Bremen Philharmonic Orchestra (the partner organisation of our “Master of Music Orchestral Academy” programme), the Deutschen Kammerphilharmonie Bremen, Musikschule Bremen, Amadeo musical kindergarten, the University of Bremen and a number of other schools in the state of Bremen.
Submitting an application
Much of the application process for the Faculty of Music is conducted online. Candidates are requested to submit their application through our dedicated online platform ARTIST at http://application.hfk-bremen.de
Prospective students who want to start studying at the University of the Arts in the Bachelor's or Master's programme from the winter semester 2020/2021 onwards must apply for admission to the entrance examination and study before 4th of May 2020 via our ARTIST platform at http://application.hfk-bremen.de
In addition to online registration, applicants are requested to upload the following documents. Application documents sent by post will not be accepted and processed:
- a personal résumé (bullet-point format)
- your programme for the entrance examination (audition)
- one passport photograph
- copies of relevant qualifications and certificates
- details of your school qualifications and any previous tertiary qualifications that are relevant to or required for the programme you wish to attend
Foreign applicants are requested to send certified copies of relevant qualifications and certificates.
A fee of 30 € is charged for participation in the application procedure. After checking your application, you will receive information on the bank details and the intended purpose by e-mail. This fee must be transferred to the account of the Hochschule für Künste Bremen at the end of the above application period. Otherwise there will be no further processing of the application and therefore no participation in the entrance examination.
Prospective students wishing to apply for a place at the Faculty of Music of the University of the Arts for the concert exam
in the summer semester 2021 must submit an application for admission to
the entrance examination and the course of study between 01 November 2020 and 30 November 2020
Information about the concert exam can be found at concert exam
The entrance examination
The entrance examination takes place in the Faculty of Music, Dechanatstraße 13-15, 28195 Bremen.
The actual entrance examination for our Bachelor programmes generally consists of three or four parts:
- a practical performance examination in your Major subject(s)
- a practical performance examination in your instrumental/vocal Minor subject
- a written examination on music theory and aural skills
- applicants for the following programmes will also undertake an examination on music education and performance: Bachelor of Music, Music education for instrumental and vocal performance (MEIVP), MEIVP/Music theory, and Music theory /composition
Candidates undertaking practical entrance examination(s) in their respective instrumental/vocal Major(s) will be required to perform several works for the examiners (approx. 20 minutes). The selection of works chosen for this examination should reflect the major stylistic periods of the respective subject area and include one work from the twentieth century. Candidates will be appraised by the examination commission on the basis of their technical accomplishment and artistic quality. Individual candidates may also be required to demonstrate their ability to sight-read or sight-sing as applicable.
Candidates for our Performance and Church Music Masters programmes will be tested in their Major subject(s) only. Candidates for the Master of Music Education and Performance programme are also required to take an examination in Music Education.
Eligible candidates will be notified of the precise examination dates in an email containing their invitation to take the entrance examination.
For detailed information on the audition repertoire for the entrance examination and sample questions for prospective students undertaking examinations in music theory and aural skills, please see the Application tab on our website: http://www.hfk-bremen.de.
Recognition of music theory, aural training or minor subject
Graded examinations in music theory, aural training or minor subject that are part of the curriculum at your previous study can be regognized for these examinations either entirely or in part. You can send am email to the Campus Office Music (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than May 24th 2020. Please note that we need a corresponding certificate (transcript of records) with proof of attendence and a grade. We will be getting in touch before the entrance examination.
Acceptance for a placement
Admission to a place after passed the entrance examination
Successful candidates will receive an email from the University of the Arts confirming that they have passed the entrance examination and take place on allocation for place to studies.
Admission to a place and acceptance for a placement
If you are awarded a placement at the University of the Arts, you should inform us of the acceptance of the place of study. You will receive information on this with the admission letter
Candidates that receive a letter of rejection will be placed on a reserve list and may be offered a placement in the event that a successful candidate does not take up their placement. If a follow-up procedure takes place, you will be notified automatically. We promise that all available placements will be filled!
Information for foreign applicants
Please Note, the proof of German language skills as obligatory pre-requisite for enrolment. Foreign applicants for a course of study at the University of the Arts must prove that they have good knowledge of the German language in oral and written communication.
- Application for admission to the entrance examination until 4th of May 2020
- Invitation to the entrance examination: the latest information on dates concerning entrance exams in the Music Department will be published here on April 30, 2020
- Entrance examination date: the latest information on dates concerning entrance exams in the Music Department will be published here on April 30, 2020
- Announcement of the entrance examination results: the latest information on dates concerning entrance exams in the Music Department will be published here on April 30, 2020
- Allocation of placement: the latest information on dates concerning entrance exams in the Music Department will be published here on April 30, 2020