Top of page

Entering Germany

On the premises of the University, the Immigration Office has set up a branch for all international students in Bremen. Here, you can apply for or extend your visa/residence permit, register,
re-register and de-register or apply for a welcome allowance:

Bremen Services Universität (BSU)
Bibliothekstr. 6 (Zentralbereich)
28359 Bremen

Office hours
Tue and Thu, 9-13 h
Wed, 10-13 h and 14-16 h

Entry requirements

Before travelling to Germany, you should check whether you meet all the requirements for your stay. Students from certain countries need a visa that also includes financial and insurance regulations. It is very important that you submit your application for a visa several months before you leave for Germany, as it can take weeks to months to process. A list of all countries and their respective visa requirements can be found on the website of the Federal Foreign Office: Entry visa required yes or no

Where can I apply for a visa? To enter Germany, you need a visa for study purposes (“Visum zu Studienzwecken”) issued by the German embassy in your home country. If you intend to stay beyond the period of validity of the visa, a residence permit must be applied for at the Immigration Office (“Migrationsamt”) in Bremen.

For your application, you need to present the following:
• A valid passport
• Proof of financial resources:
• Certificate of registration (residence in Bremen)
• Proof of health insurance valid in Germany
• Proof of enrolment
• A photo
• Proof of payment of your visa application fees

Caution: If you enter the country with a visitor or tourist visa, it is not possible to start studying! A Visitor/tourist visa will not be converted into a visa for study purposes!

Certificate of registration

Students who intend to stay in Germany for longer than three months are obliged to register their residence within the first two weeks after entry into Germany. Students can go to the BSU (“Bremen Services Universität”) for this purpose.

Work permit

A work permit is a prerequisite for being able to work in Germany. Studying is not regarded as employment, so you do not need a work permit to study. Students from EU member states are not legally regulated with regard to employment and thus do not require a work permit. For students from all other countries, dependent paid employment is permissible for a maximum of 120 work days per year at up to 8 hours per day or for a maximum of 240 work days per year at up to 4 hours per day. In this case, a work permit is needed.

Career prospects for international graduates
International graduates have the opportunity to work in Germany after completing their studies. The residence permit can be extended for up to 18 months to search for a job that is suitable for the degree.
Further information: Career Center:

Bremer Wissenschaftsportal:

contact person